Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Paris Love

I have mentioned before my love of  Paris images.  While trolling the net these are some of the beautiful images that I have come across.  They are just divine and it makes me really want to go back to the city of lights.  I so wish that Mr S and I do get back there
together at some stage.










The Eiffel Tower is an 1889 iron lattice tower located on the Champ de Mars in Paris that has become both a global icon of France and one of the most recognizable structures in the world. The Eiffel Tower, which is the tallest building in Paris, is the single most visited paid monument in the world; millions of people ascend it every year. Named after its designer, engineer Gustave Eiffel, the tower was built as the entrance arch for the 1889 World's Fair. (source wikipedia)


Born on December 15, 1832 in Dijon, Gustave Eiffel was an exceptionally gifted engineer and builder. He graduated from the prestigious Ecole Centrale de Paris. His extraordinary career was marked in 1876 by the construction of the Maria Pia bridge over the River Douro in Portugal, then by that of the Garabit Viaduct in central France in 1884 and Budapest station in Hungary. He was responsible for the metal structures of the Bon Marché department store and the Crédit Lyonnais bank in Paris, the cupola of the Nice observatory, and, above all, the very impressive internal structure of the Statue of Liberty. The construction of the Eiffel Tower in 1889 was his crowning achievement. His career as an entrepreneur would come to an end with the failure of the Panama Canal project. From then on, he devoted his time to operating the Tower and to various experiments in air resistance, the observation of meteorology and especially the installation of a giant antenna for the earliest radio broadcasts. Indeed, it is because of these experiments that the Eiffel Tower is still standing, since it was initially built
to last 20 years!
 







My mum and I in Paris back in 1990.  I was 19 years old which feels like an absolute life time ago.






2 comments:

  1. Just JUST gorgeous! I love these images. You have such wonderful taste xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a wonderful city. It's been quite a while since I've been there too. The best big city in the world for walking around I think!

    ReplyDelete